View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
He chose to submit to arrest, yes, but you know very well that you could drive a truck through the "perhaps in prophetic vision" bit.
That's why I wrote perhaps. It is sort of my fancy about it, not anything that I know or would assert fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
And in what sense did he have lamb like innocence? Certainly not in the charges of destroying the press. As Indy and I agreed, he was innocent of anything that would justify his murder. But I won't assert that he was innocent in the same way Jesus was innocent, which is what Mormons sometimes seem to be implying (and you certainly may not be trying to imply this).
I was actually arguing for a much more limited meaning to the phrase "like a lamb to the slaughter." He had apparnetly destroyed the press. He was not innocent in the way Jesus was, and it was (going back to your orignial quesiton) a martyrdom, not an atonement. I htink the "lamb to a slaughter" phrase may only really describe his demeanor upon his deciison to mount up and ride to Carthage, as opposed to the greater signifiacnce sometimes ascribed to it.