View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #24
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I, too, find solace in Joseph's shortcomings. As to why he was martyred, I have trouble picturing the mob going, "You know what, that guy believes in Jesus so let's kill him!" They weren't out to murder everyone who believed in Jesus. But that WAS the case for Christians under Nero, Domitian, and so on.

Isn't it at least as plausible that they thought, "Let's kill the guy who started Mormonism so we can put an end to the whole thing?" Isn't it plausible that they killed him because of sectarian beliefs? There could be an important distinction in that as regarding the notion of martyr. Of course, a faithful Mormon will see much that is Mormonism as a result of Joseph's belief in Jesus, but it does not necessarily follow that that's why Joseph was killed, even if it contributed to his resolve to submit to arrest.
I can see a mob saying; "he says he blieves in Jesus; he says Jesus visited him in a vision --that's blaspheme-- he must be killed!" In fact I'm certain there were more than one or two people that were heard making such or similar statements.

I really think it was that simple for many in the mob ... just as it will be that easy for many to say; "I'm not voting for a Mormon!"
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote