View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #105
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ok, so in the future when I continue to call for the Church to cut the misleading and nearly universally misinterpreted excerpts from WW's conference addresses out from behind the D&C and you tell me I'm wrong, you are really not saying I'm wrong, but just that I should ask for the change in a nicer way. Good to know.
Not exactly. As in most things, there is a line. There is a realm of discovery where revelation and science can both live in peace, and I think this change exists in that realm.

However, if you very politely and nicely say that you think the church should come out and admit the Book of Mormon is a complete hoax, I'm going to disagree on more than just your tone.

Quote:
I think this change is huge. It is an admission of a mistake made by Apostles and Prophets as approved by the First Presidency and sustained by the membership by the raising of the right hand.

Now I already knew that Prophets and Apostles make mistakes, and not just theoretical or little ones, but sometimes big public ones too. But those who believe that "the prophet will never lead the church astray", if they are honest, are smacked in the face by this.

A few weeks back I believe Indy or Tex were asking when the last time a Prophet led you astray. We all can now answer that we were being clearly lead astray regarding the historicity of the Book of Mormon.
And this is where we part company. I'm okay with others thinking this is of bigger impact than I do, but in essence, it doesn't affect the doctrine or the fundamental claims of the Book of Mormon at all. It's just a clarification that moves the needle from somewhere north of 51% to "who knows" percent. Hard to see how this led anyone "astray."

Maybe the truly tough part of this conversation is what constitutes "astray." We have prophetic mistakes going back as far as the Kirtland Safety Society and the 116 pages. The church and those who remained true to its leaders stayed right on course.

Quote:
Also, if this wasn't a big deal, would it be a big deal if they take out the WW quotes?
To you, perhaps. Was it a big deal when they added the JST excerpts? Doesn't seem to have improved the intellectual community's opinion of them.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote