View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #33
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
1. It is apparent that some/many of the brethren in this period held racist views--REAL racist views, not the fake racism I am frequently accused of. From the "curse of Cain" to the "curse of Canaan" to "pre-existantly less valiant" to "pre-existantly rejected the priesthood" to all the other speculative views on the "why" of the ban, all these reflect the fundamental concept of racism: that race alone makes someone inferior or superior to someone else. There is no question in my mind that these views were a product of the environment of the day, and that they influenced their approach to church policy. (65, 73, 75)
In the Mysteries of Godliness book that Lebowski reviewed so well yesterday (BTW, I'm not sure he got enough love for his efforts - that must have taken some time to type up. Kudos), Buerger claims that in an interview with an actor from the third endowment video, which the LDS church produced in 1969, the actor who portrayed the minister claimed that "the role of Satan was to have originally been filled by an African-American." After protests by LDS Polynesians, a white man was cast in the role. (pg. 169)

That's pretty outrageous, if it's true.