View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
What do you suggest are some better ways to handle disciplinary matters?

By no means am I trying to stir the pot here or to welcome a confrontation.

I've heard these criticisms many times of how the church disciplines what they deem to be sinful behavior and choices.

I, myself, without going into detail have been on the receiving end of church discipline before and to be honest, even I'm not sure how to change things or to help the person who's struggling. How do we show forth more love? How do we help them feel not so isolated?

I'm glad that they the church doesn't excommunicate with impugnity as often as they used to, as they've seen that more often than not it leads to permanent exile from the Church and the gospel...which I don't believe is nor should be the intention of the repentance process.
I have not fully thought it through, but somehow, the person "disciplined" needs involvement in service not isolation.

Restrictions on certain privileges makes sense, but to what limit. You have somebody troubled and you cut them off from sacrament, and temple privileges when those might be what the person needs most. And perhaps the person just needs to serve others, and surely can in a nonreligious manner but cannot in an official religious capacity. The member is not even allowed to speak up in Sunday School. It doesn't seem effective in my mind. Just unconnected thoughts.