View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #70
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
??? That would prove that I cannot walk on water, not Jesus. What's your point?

I am fully aware that millions of people may feel differently than me, including you perhaps. That is fine. But I think that if someone has even the most rudimentary understanding of science, geology, anthropology, bilogy, etc. (i.e., grade school level), then the 6000-yr-old issue is beyond question. I just can't imagine having a president that is that ignorant. But that's just me.

I see a huge difference between believing that Jesus could perform miracles and believing that the earth is literally 6000 years old. I can understand how you, Tex, SU, and Chris Hitchens would feel otherwise (what an odd mix), but I think they are far different issues.
I still don't see how it is different than believing a man walked on water. The laws of physics can pretty much assure us that man cannot walk on water, right? So to say that Jesus can walk on water requires belief in a miracle.

I just don't know why it would be such a big stretch to say that the Earth being 6,000 years old also defies all evidence and natural laws and is a miracle. If you are willing to accept one, I think you could be willing to accept the other without being stupid.

That being said, I don't believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. But I don't consider people stupid who do. Can people rise from the dead after 3 days? Science has pretty much shown they can't. Can water be turned into wine? Not according to scientific evidence. Can the Red Sea part? Not according to science (and there doesn't appear to be evidence it ever did). Science can "prove" that none of those things are possible, just like it can prove the Earth isn't 6,000 years old.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote