View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Near Abbeville, MS is a buffet called Abbeville Catfish that was owned by a member of the Oxford ward. He would let the missionaries eat for free as often as they wanted, so long as they tipped the waitresses.

I noticed though, that literally every item in the buffet was either deep fried or smothered in cheese. Sometimes both.
I have eaten at this establishment and can vouch for it.

I did not go on a mission, but I went with my parents for a bit. So this partially counts...Ateke a cous cous like grain topped with sauce gran is really good, often replaced with futu (pounded manioc). This you could get at one of the local maquis for about 20 cents. I also ate best meal I have ever eaten there and it was local cuisine, fish and some incredibly flavorful and hot spices. I still have not forgotten the taste of that food almost fifteen years later.

This time with my parents also where I got my extreme Francophilia, because as in most former Franch colonies they make incredible breads and pastries, and there are usually several within walking distance of just about everywhere. the water was supposedly not drinkable, although I drank it a number of times and I never got sick, so we had Orangina everywhere we went and it consequently is my favorite drink.

Ah, the nostlgia.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote