View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It is very interesting that Elder Haight claims that the revelation was recieved by SWK in the meeting with all the Apostles--he emphasises over and over again that he was there when the revelation was recieved. In contrast, SWK said that the decision came over time "there slowly grew a deep, abiding impression to go forward with the change." p. 218 of Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball by Edward L. Kimball.

What happened, according to the actual text of the second manifesto and born out in the recounting of the events, was i) SWK made the decision to end the ban, ii) a long political process was engaged in by SWK to get everybody on board, and iii) "revelation has confirmed" the decision.

The revelation was not telling SWK to end the ban. The revelation was a confirmation of SWK decision to end the ban. Big difference.

Some mistake the confirmation with the supposed revelation. And maybe Haight and other leaders intend to mislead the masses to perpetuate their power or to minimize dissent.

Some other excerpts from the Kimball bio:

Elder Packer said of President Kimball's role in the revelation: "No one else could have done this; there is none so innocent and open, so sensitive." [read "not racist"] p. 235

President Hinckley is quoted hinting that SWK's predecessors were not as motivated to end the ban "He was not the first to worry about the priesthood question, but he had the compassion to pursue it and a boldness that allowed him to act, to get the revelation." [when you read "compassion" and "boldness" think "he wasn't racist"] p. 215

Elder Perry agreed: "I don't think we've had a president more willing to entreat the lord or more receptive since the Prophet Joseph." p 222

SWK is quoted "Revelations will probably never come unless they are desired" p. 216

Francis M. gibbons, secretary to the First Presidency, observed that during the year before the revelation was announced President Kimball seemed focused on the issue. The President repeatedly invited the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve to discuss the issue at length and urged them to speak freely. A few said little or nothing when the topic was raised, and President Kimball invited them to talk with him in private. He could not let the matter rest. He seemed so intent on resolving the issue--with full unity among the leadership--that others worried. Elder Boyd K. Packer said to him "Why don't you forget this?" But he quickly answered his own question: "Because you can't. The Lord won't let you." p. 216

Francis Gibbons sensed that President Kimball had already come to know God's will and was now struggling with how to unify all Church leaders in support. p. 218

[In the meeting Elder Haight referrs to where the "revelation" was recieved, SWK] outlined the direction his thoughts had carried him--the fading of his reluctance, the disappearance of objections the growing assurance he had recieved the tenative decision he had reached. [Only after biasing the discussion this did he ask the other Apostles what they thought.] p. 221

He had reached a decision afer great struggle, and he desperately wanted the Lord's confirmation, if it would come. p 221

During that insistent prayer, those present felt something powerful, unifying, ineffeble. . . Elder L. Tom Perry recalled: . . . I feld something like the rushing of wind. There was a feeling that came over the whole group. When President Kimball got up he was visibly relieved and overjoyed.. p. 222

In the meeting two days later to inform the 70s SWK spoke: "As a boy in Arizona i wondered by the Indians were so poor and looked down upon. I asked my Father, who was kind and never too busy to answer my questions. . . Later i asked him about blacks and the priesthood. My father said that the time would come when they would recieve the priesthood. I believed him." p. 227
As evident in your quotions it is a healthy dose of sudden revelation that is preceeded by preparation of learning, growth and study. Gosh, such a process is unusually consistent with scripture.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote