View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Your myopia is disheartening ... When he stood and voiced his decision, all searching, questioning, study and reflection was set aside in favour of support for a Prophet and mouth piece of God ... the confirmation you speak of does not follow the decision and is not a result of subsiquent prayer. It is was invited into the process at the very moment he spoke -it was 'sudden' and very powerful as is evident in your quotations of those who were there

You speak as if the apostles had to be worked -that is a dishonest characterization! Their role is to question, study and reflect on the subject, and voice their concerns and even objections. Any amount of time spent in a leadership role where the process is similar would confirm such.
I can almost guarantee you it didn't happen the way Adam portrays. This is the great disservice perpetrated by the DOM book (and perhaps my biggest complaint about it) ... it really factors out most all of the spiritual elements of the church and prophet. It reduces the church to nothing more than a run-of-the-mill mundane beauracracy, led by squabbling, self-interested men (*insert SU comment here*).

While the research is good and the stories are fascinating, the paucity of references to their altruism, desires to serve and follow and please the Lord, and do the best for the spiritual welfare church is a glaring error. Perhaps they felt leaving it out would help it have a broader non-Mormon appeal, I don't know. Some chapters are better than others.

The 4th chapter in particular suffers from this problem.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote