View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think this is one of the toughest subjects for people to synthesize for all the reasons described in this thread. I think that the reality takes the clothes off the emperor for many people and this leads them to abandon their common sense, both in the pursuit of keeping the clothes on and in overreacting to what it means that the emperor forgot to get dressed today.

I may be the odd person out, but to me learning that our leaders are inspired but imperfect men who disagree, argue, wrestle with the right answer and find it together through inspiration is, well, inspiring. This is the same reason that all I have learned about Joseph Smith inspires. He didn't levitate from epiphany to epiphany but was a mortal man with mortal passions and mortal foibles. And yet, through such a man God was able to bring able this good church that teaches so much good and provides so much opportunity to do good. If he can do it through him, perhaps he can work good through me even though I am imperfect, vexed by my passions, and somewhat contentious in my heart.

The message I take away is that I can do it to in spite of what I am, not that I have to be some fictional unattainable someone else. The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.
Well said, Dan. I completely agree. I don't recall much shock or surprise when reading the DOM book regarding dissent within the church leadership. Perhaps I have seen enough of the church bureaucracy that I never believed in the "unanimity" model that Mike alludes to. I find it quite comforting that they have vigorous, spirited debates with lots of give and take. It means that they are likely to have a good balance of inspiration and rational thought in their decisions.