View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In spending some time browsing the A&M board, I have come to appreciate the fact that for A&M grads, there really is an unwritten code of conduct and ethics that they expect all "true" Aggies to uphold.

It's a much more pronounced identity than BYU grads have, in terms of this unwritten code. And I'm trying to understand why.

Two thoughts: BYU grads have two official arbiters of codes. 1) the church, and 2) the BYU honor code. Neither of which they have any input in.

Whereas for A&M fans, this unwritten code is something that must be constantly addressed and hashed out from one generation to the next. I.e. it is a constant source of discussion and teaching, whereas the BYU situation is one of "obey the commandments."

Looking at it another way, A&M fans and grads feel like they own A&M, whereas BYU grads and fans have no such feeling. It is very clear who owns BYU, and it is very clear who makes decisions, and it is very clear that there is no desire to understand its graduates.

Lack of vision at BYU among the Board of Trustees and Presidents has really hurt it.
It seems to me that it starts with the fact that BOT and Presidents, at least recent ones, don't love and adore BYU as a unique institution of higher learning. There is clearly a desire for BYU to be seen as an extension of the Church and any love or adoration that goes directly to BYU is not going to the Kingdom of God, it is another zero sum dilemma. aTm is seen as an institution by its alum and BYU is forced into being a small part of a bigger institution. Enter to learn...go forth to serve! Normal universities strive to develop a greater loyalty to the institution's identity because it leads to $$$$.

However, I think the folks do like money and are stuck between a rock and a hard place as sports is a great vehicle to money, but how to go get it has them confused a bit. This might really explain the downscheduling trend, IMO. It might be the first instance where Bronco is being ordered to do something for the greater good of the institution.