View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobeewan View Post
Please allow me to apologize for the assumption that your point was a call for a change of policy rather than a simple question.

I don't think it is much of a stretch to go from being a member of the team to representing the Church. If as a member of the BYU football team, you represent the team, and if it is perceived (right or wrong) that the BYU football team represents the church, doesn't that mean that as a member of the team you represent the church? Now this isn't anything that scares me or I fret over a great deal because I see the distinction, but to say there isn't any kind of representation is wrong in my opinion. So it looks like I am surrounded by cardboard.

Every national broadcast of a BYU game that I have ever seen has at some point mentioned the missionary program, how many married member we have on our team, and the church. The team is an outward reflection on the team as a whole. And yes anyone who is sitting in Vegas gambling and drinking wearing a BYU shirt is going to be thought of as a member of the church. Right or wrong that just happens.

That said, I can see your point about becoming a missionary for the church. I don't think Bronco or his staff are making the new recruits sing "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission." But it could easily be a perception made by recruits or their families. If they are uncomfortable with that they should go somewhere else.
We can agree, the football team represents the church. If you play for BYU you should have no thoughts that your positive action, winning, you are not bringing a positive reflection on the church.

That being said, I would hope recruits are told you are representing BYU football. AS a member of this team you are expected to follow certain rules in order to represent our team.

Maybe I am the lone ranger. I would never go to a school where they told me I was expected to represent their faith. What if someone asked me if I believed the Pope spoke for God. My answer would have to be no.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote