View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Might it not be that the 2 democratic candidates are much closer ideologically than the Republicans? Because their policies don't differ that much, then the focus becomes other issues.
That's my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
see if you would have just said this without the snide remarks you would be a poitically astute observer (which you are) without any baggage.

I agree with your thoughts, for the most part, especially because Sen. Clinton is heavy on specifics but Obama is pretty vague on that account. I would rather not get hung up on identity politics either, (although I will point out that the Huckabee-Christian right-Romney Mormon juxtaposition has more than a whiff if identity politics in it-and that the Christian right in general identity has strongly impacted the party's nominees over the past decade and a half).
Thus, why I said Mike Huckabee excepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I think some identity politics is natural when you have the first feasible woman and black candidates, at the same time. So I am not that surprised nor worried about it from a Democrats point of view.
Perhaps. I wonder if we had a black or a woman candidate on the Republican side, if you'd see this kind of rancor between the candidates. I have a hard time seeing Condi Rice or Colin Powell or Michael Steele or Kay Bailey Hutchison on that stage with the other white guys, and having the Democrats' flavor of problems.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote