Thread: "Worthiness"...
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #60
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
I know it's dangerous to quote Mormon leaders / authoritative literature in these quarters, but...

And my favorite, to which Robert Millet once responded, "great quote!":

And then my second favorite:

Let me pre-empt a silly response:

No, I'm not telling you all what you individually believe. I'm quoting your leaders.

There's not a single thing in there that you would disagree with if you were honest with yourself. Believing that God values belief is no different in principle than believing that God values works. In both cases, you have to comply with God's priorities in order to be saved.

As I said before, it makes sense to believe in a religion that absolves you from all but the tiniest responsibility, but trying to denigrate the beliefs of those who assume that God would want a little bit more from his people seems terribly counterproductive. If all God requires is belief, then both religions are fine, since neither religion has much of a clue on the specifics and nitpicking is pointless and petty. If God requires anything more than that, you're effed.

Your belief that Mormons worship "the wrong Jesus" is not only hypocritical since you know so very little about Jesus and everything else, but also flat-out wrong, since the Mormon interpretation is no less likely to be accurate than anyone else's.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote