View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think that the show inspires people on many levels but I have a real problem with the message it sends regarding the amount of weight one should expect to lose in a week.

When you watch the weigh-ins on that show you see people in tears if they lose only 5 pounds in a week. That is ridiculous, and for most people it's about 3 pounds more than they should have lost for that week. Granted, we're dealing with the super obese on that show and the super obese have the potential to drop a tremendous amount of water weight over the first few weeks. So, for the contestants on the show it's reasonable to lose those big numbers initially. But they NEVER mention that joe blow who is 50 pounds overweight should not expect nor desire such numbers.

IMO, they like the big numbers so they can sell their books. Their program is solid, but they need to be more honest about what healthy weight loss normally looks like.
I had the same thought. I reckon it's a net positive, and that the contestants are only sad about losing 5 pounds because they've basically been living in a fat-loss camp where they do nothing but exercise while thinking about all the food they're not eating. Hopefully the viewers realize this and set more realistic (and healthy) goals for themselves.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote