View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of the problem with old age is you can't remember if you told someone something or you just thought about telling it. If I have posted this in a thread before on here, I apologize.

This couldn't happen nowdays. When I was a kid, our scoutmaster was a guy who never attended church. He was a great guy even though we once snuck into his bedroom and found some art magazines. Yes, at the scoutmasters house we got our first glimpse of what a real attractive woman's bod looked like without clothes on.

I digress. My scouting experience was awesome. I felt like he really cared about us far more than any of the teachers in church we had. We went rabbit hunting, camping, to mirror lake, etc. I have vivid memories of things I did as a scout. Thanks to him and my mom, I got my Eagle Scout. During the four years I was in scouting in the ward, just about every kid in the ward got their Eagle Scout award. Earl Wagstaff, waggie as we called him is the person that was a youth leader I can remember by name.

He loved doing what scouts do and doing it with us. I think now scoutmasters have the added pressure of being concerned about the young mens spiritual welfare. Therefor you just can't call someone who loves to do scouting, but someone who is an example of church values too. That creates an added pressure for the scoutmaster.

Tough, tough job. I admire scoutmasters in the church. Probably one of the few callings in the church I would turn down. I don't have the "right stuff".
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote