View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is like in the 3rd day of the siege of the Alamo, someone discovers 3 unopened boxes of chocolates.

Yeah, it's a great thing. But it isn't the larger picture.
I don't exactly disagree. The thing is, which conferences have their games on prime CBS, ABC or ESPN spots? If your conference doesn't have a "Big", "SEC" or "Pac" in front of it, you aren't shown. The idea to have a channel devoted entirely to a conference isn't a bad one. The Big 10 (11) has followed suit, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more like them soon. Now, the way that the distribution has gone has been a disaster, I don't think anybody would disagree, but the concept is the next best step.

Our biggest problem is with our conference. It is irrelevant. Or maybe mostly irrelevant. We can have 9 channels dedicated to each team in the conference, but if nobody cares enough to watch them, what does it matter? I think those in charge know this, but what can you really do? Get into a bigger conference? I think we'd love to, but you can't just go to the Pac 10 and say "We're in". You can take a chance at independence, but is the risk worth it? Or you can build a program that is consistent top 20 material and earn the invite that way. Or, ideally, you change the rules (BCS) and make the playing field more level. Those problems, IMO, are higher up than Holmoe.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote