View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
PS, mindful you might look a few threads down at some of BYU's Islamic publications, a nascent attempt at familiarization.

I'm also trying to follow Adam's example by restarting my efforts to learn Arabic, concommitant with Greek and Hebrew, so it will be slow. Reading individual letters is fine but seeing words "linked" is difficult.
Sure..i have read the thread and was going to ask you and EQ about the scholarship and the associated programs.....and i actually have been informed about BYU islamic publications long time ago .i was really impressed to see "Avicenna" and "Mulla Sadra" and "Averroes" books in the list..they were some of the most prominent islamic figures in philosphy ,Gnosis and medicine. Great collection of books!

with the respect to Adam's experience ,i suppose you wouldnot necessarily need to spend too much time and effort to learn letters and words ,if you arenot actually intended to "talk" to the language. you may want to take an arabic course to start with and then improve your reading and comprehension skills through different texts.

as a side note .. most of my arab classmates (who fled from Iraq , during Iran-Iraq war) would always get the worst mark in arabic subject .never have figured it out why.