View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #43
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
'Taken with a grain of salt' meaning there are many factors involved that can affect the overall impact of a deal such as the Mtn.

Of the 100,000 people 'interested' in a certain channel (the number pulled from where the sun don't shine, for use in this argument), what percentage actually make the call to tell you how they feel? Let's just assume it's 10% (which is probably an overestimation, IMO). Now, how many of that 10% are able to find the RIGHT number to call, and then actually get through to the right location where they can give their information?

Then, you're relying on the person taking the data (I'll leave it to you to determine how often a 'mistake' is made in this case) to do so correctly.

Lastly, factor in the fact that MANY potential customers have given up by this point (persistence is NOT most American's strong suit), and I think you'll find far more subscriptions brought about by the Mtn than were indicated by the number of requests.

That is what I meant by 'grain of salt'.
The data is not exact. I'll grant you that. When you're dealing with over 750k calls, you're going to have some agent error in the dispositions. However, Dish and Direct to make a lot of their business decisions based on that data.

One thing I think would be interesting, and I would have asked for it yesterday if my friend wasn't trying to finish his weekly reports, is the last 18 months worth of data. I know for a fact that Dish and DTV got slammed with calls for about 2 hour period in August of 2006. I happened to unleash about 200 outbound agents on them when one of our dialers went down. Removing those calls, I would be interested to see what six month period had the most volume. My guess is that it's not much different today than it was 18 months ago.

I do agree with you that some who are currently Dish customers will switch. I don't think it's going to be significant. I would guess most lived through two years, they'll not go through the hassle believing that Dish is going to be on board soon also or flat out don't know DTV has it. I think DTV will get back most if not all their customers they lost from Comcast. I think DTV knows this and that is why they publicly welcomed Dish to get involved in the distribution. It won't hurt them at all and it might hurt Comcast. That's just my reading into things though.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote