View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan,

If you have read the McKay biography, would you have said a similar thing to Sterling McMurrin, as you have said to Adam? To Juanita Brooks? Hugh B. Brown (who circumvented McKay at times)?

It's like you are saying that the Adam of 2008 not only doesn't help the church, he harms the church (I'm talking about his views and posts, not his personal service in his ward).

I also have an issue with the "perfect organization." Convert baptisms DOWN in the southwestern United States. Lowest percentage of males any US religion outside of two (JW and histor. black protestant). I think you are going to see a lot of changes to this "perfect" organization, with hopes that it will become "more perfect", because there are many things that are not "most perfect" right now.

Adam has a vision for the church where the church embraces the Good. Where it comes to represent the things that Christ taught in the beattitude and how Christ lived his life.

But as I've told the board before: this is not a church with a single suggestion-box. No one is interested in your opinion. Period. This is a top-down organization, and Jesus is at the top, and for the ideas to come from the bottom is like Joe Blow giving advice to Jesus. Nothing could be more insulting. Normally this does not work well for organizations. If spirituality has an entrepreneuial aspect, it won't thrive in this kind of environment. So what do we get? Constant talks and speeches about our failings. You aren't doing member missionary work. You aren't doing geneology work. Your home teaching stinks. You aren't going to the temple. The message is "you must be perfect, and guess what, you are a failure." It takes a spirtually wise person to brush this off and be happy and continue forward. I reject your ideas of "perfection" and actually believe that I have scriptural reason to do so. Beware he who says all is well in Zion.

Maybe your words are great wisdom for every single person in the world. Maybe not. Maybe each person has different role, a different mission, a different path. I don't have the guts to tell you that you are on the wrong path, and I certainly am not going to tell Adam he is on the wrong path.

There but for the grace of God go I. War Mormons.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote