View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There is an idea in psychology that if you confront and immerse yourself in the trauma, that it may lose its saliency. Such work is done in post-traumatic stress disorder.

This however is slightly different than helping in a cause, but the same principle applies. You are not avoiding the subject and cues that remind you of the past abuse.
Without talking "about" tooblue too much.....he had mentioned that he had engaged in therapy, but also volunteered. So I was wondering if such volunteerism is often a natural extension of traditional methods of therapy and healing. In other words, do professionals encourage their patients to actually seek out these opportunities as a means of expression and self-empowerment. I can definitely see the benefit, but could also appreciate the difficulty.

Again, tooblue, apologies. not intending to talk about you, only using your initial post as a frame of reference for my general questions. no disrespect intended.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote