View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks for sharing that, Tooblue. It was a powerful post.

I honestly have not read much of the other threads on this topic, but in skimming quickly it seems that you are arguing homosexuality is a choice and others are saying it isn't.

Can I ask what you mean by saying it is a choice? Because if what you mean is that a traumatic event (such as sexual abuse) can cause you to have homosexual feelings, I don't know that I would call that "choice." It isn't genetic, but it is the product of an experience so overwhelmingly powerful that it overrides genetic programming, so to speak. Is that really "choice?"

This isn't meant as a comparison, but it is peripherally similar to eating lots of your favorite food to the point you are sick to your stomach, vomiting, and then never being able to eat that food again. A very bad experience, it seems, can overcome other "natural" desires of the body and reprogram you, so to speak. If this happens with something as mildly traumatic as vomiting, I can't imagine what the effect would be with something as overwhelming as sexual abuse. Maybe the reprogramming can also be fought against, I don't know. But if this is the "choice" you speak of, I don't know that everyone is talking about the same thing. Like I said, I was only skimming.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote