View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I think Noah's got it figured out. She's not silly enough to actually think she can still "win" the primary vote. She's just trying to win a couple of big-name states to regain a sense of legitimacy about her candidacy. If she can do that, then she'll feel justified in making a pitch, like the one Noah describes above, to the uncommited Superdelegates.

That's what she meant when she said her campaign had "turned the corner" last week. Before that point, the public had lost all sense that she was still a valid contender. She was quickly becoming little more than a nuisance and an inconvenience for the party. There was no way she could try to argue for the Superdelegates or for Florida and Michigan revotes.

The wins last week didn't change the fact that it's mathematically near impossible for her to win the majority of state delgates - the wins actually made her numbers situation worse - but what the wins did do is change the public perception of her role in the primary. She's hoping to use the new improved comeback kid perception to slingshot herself to the nomination.

I have no idea whether it'll work. A month ago I thought there was no way in hell they'd overturn the popular vote at convention. I still kind of lean that direction, but I don't know what to think anymore. The whole thing is just bizarre.

As for those of you convinced the Democrats are a shoe-in for the White House, this chaos the party has constructed - combined with the two candidates they're considering - is a really good way to start conceding the Oval Office to McCain.
I don't think that will be her approach. Polling almost universally suggests Obama is more electable.

I think the more likely approach she will take will be to point out that the Democrats should do what ensures they will keep the White House the longest. She could be the president and Obama would be the VP. After 8 years, he would be the president, giving the Dems 16 years in the White House. In 8 years, her best years will be behind her, whereas Obama is young and will be a perfect fit for the White House in 8 years. I think she will also point out that many of the superdelegates owe their career to the Clintons, and they will push hard to cash in those chips.

I don't think it will work in the end, but she very well could wind up as VP, which I think is good for the party and bad for what Obama is trying to do as president.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote