Thread: Idiots
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
There have been several similar incidents. The most famous one was in Thailand. The elders sat on a statue of Buddha. They were turned in by the photo store. The pictures were put on the front page of newpapers and the public was outraged. At least one of the elders was thrown in jail and was there for quite some time. The incident happened in the 1970s. Even in the 1990s, the pictures would periodically be republished and public outrage would cycle up again and the missionaries would have to spend several days in their apartments and wait out the storm of outrage. I haven't been back to Thailand since 1996 so I don't know what the status is lately.
I always assumed this one was urban-legendy.

The way you describe it pretty much ensures its urban legend status because you seem to be implying the existence of widespread, published photographic evidence, missionaries being imprisoned, etc, and a newspaper periodically republishing pictures. Maybe my google search is broken, but I cant find any reference to it.

Verdict: 100% urban legend.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote