View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310
Default Anyone ride SL Century last week?

I thought I'd see someone comment about the SL Century, but seeing nothing so far, thought I'd give it a go.

The south breeze - maybe 8-12 mph - gave quite a push on the way out. At one point near the start, my wife and I just about fell off our bikes laughing when we overheard one guy exclaiming that it was 15-20mph. There were a few periods of gusty winds, but by the time we hit the Antelope Island causeway, the winds weren't a huge factor. Fortunately, the winds dropped somewhat on the way back.

Still, it's nice to have someone else pull for a while. Seems like I'm always pulling a crowd back to the fairgrounds. I try to keep a nice even pace that I know I can maintain for a long time, and people latch on. At one point, with maybe 5 miles to go, a guy finally swung past me and offered to pull for a bit. He lasted maybe a quarter mile until we hit a stop light. Never saw him again after the light turned green. I pulled out, my wife tucked in behind, and the guy just disappeared behind us. I guess it was tougher to pull than he realized.

Those popsicles at the tent are sure good after a long ride.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote