View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
At the risk of jinxing myself. I went down the first year of riding when a truck pulled out in front of me and had some scrapes and torn shorts but nothing bad. After that it's been roughly 23 years and somewhere around 60,000 miles without a problem. Riding my bike as been a lifesaver for me both mentally and physically. I realize the risk but I would never give it up also.

I should add the same sort of qualifier. I have been riding realtively long distances on the road since I was 13 (I got a Raleigh Grand Prix for christmas in 1973; what a beautiful bike. I kept it until i was 27 when a firemnd asked to borrow it for a few weeks becasue he needed a bike and oculdn't help but notice that I had more than one. He allowed it to be stolen). In 30+ years of riding I have had one collision with a car, and that was on a busy street in San Francisco. Other than that I have had a few falls that were my fault (not counting mountain biking where it seems like I don't have a good ride unless I lay 'er down) but none of the broken bone variety.

Riding is therapeutic and healthy and fun. Ther is a risk, but if you are mature (for example, I used to slap the sides of cars that I thought had cut me off; what was I thinking?) and prudent you will be able to avoid almost all accidents.