Thread: Palm Sunday
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
brings discussion of Luke 19:33-38:

Note in verse 33 the Greek word for owners or masters is Kurioi, and the word for Lord in 34, Kurios, or singular form of the exact same word. It is suggested that the disciples were suggesting to the "owners" who the true "owner" was.

But what's weird from this story is the omission of any further discussion. You're dealing with a livestock rich culture, a formerly nomadic culture with some agrarian roots, and somebody comes along and takes a Polwn, or young colt with no discussion of payment?

Strange don't you think?
Here's my take:

1. This story was recorded decades later so obviously the details themselves and certainly the exact conversation were lost to time.

2. The play on words was a rhetorical tool employed by the written author to emphasize the role Jesus was claiming to his contemporaries.

3. If the donkey was indeed taken without just compensation, the disciples may well have invoked their teacher's name as part of their explanation. Jesus was nearing the end of his ministry, already well known, and his prominence and perceived promise to end the Roman occupation may well have been enough for these owners to grant him the use of their colt.

I know at Easter lessons in the past I've heard that this transaction may have been pre-arranged, the disciples' words simply serving as some kind of verification to the owners that they were entitled to take the donkey on behalf of Jesus.

Mark and Matthew have slightly different accounts of what transpired when the disciples were sent on donkey duty.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote