View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Cali-

My heart wants to agree with you. BUT, my head (not to mention the ODDS) of this happening 3 years in a row (MWC) is staggering.

Honestly, I can't recall ANY team EVER going undefeated in ANY conference in America 3 years in a row...ever.

The chance for big heads, overlooking opponents, injuries (if Hall goes down from a blindside...who knows what happens then), not to mention how badly EVERY MWC team will want to beat BYU this year....and how BADLY UCLA and Washington will want to beat them this year....

Truly, my belief is, IF BYU can make it through as an undefeated team....we will have gotten every opponents BEST effort, in every game. BYU will deserve, and represent VERY well in any BCS game.

While I hope you are right, I am trying very hard not to let expectations get out of hand.
This represents a misunderstanding of odds. Odds have no memory. Consider rolling a die. Before you roll a die, what are your changes of rolling the one die twice and getting a six both times? 1/36. However, once you've rolled a six, and you pick up the die to roll again, your chances of rolling a 6 on that roll is simply 1/6.

BYU doesn't have to go undefeated in conference three years straight right now. They only have to do it once, which is entirely possible.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote