View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Yeah, that would be wrong. Medicaid patients in this country have far better access to advanced technology in the emergency room than in any other country. Furthermore, it's illegal for an emergency room to deny care based on inability to pay. But it DOES make a good story.

Now if you're making an argument that their lack of preventive care is causing unneeded deaths, you may have a case. But the uncontrolled diabetic who eventually has an MI and dies isn't quite so newsworthy or exciting, although this is likely a much larger contributor to mortality.

Why do they lack preventative care? Well, that's a little trickier than just lack of insurance. The poor actually have access to Medicaid, but many are amazingly unwilling to make a phone call or visit the office to fill out the paperwork. Most primary care doctors take Medicaid, and most essential medicines are paid for by Medicaid. I guess we could fill out their paperwork for them too. On second thought, social workers often already do this. Maybe we need to wipe their butt...

Healthcare reform would do more for the lower-middle class than the lower classes.
I am not concerned about the poor -as you have stated they are covered. It is the middle class that is uninsured or underinsured that is the greatest concern.

And just be clear, as I have stated in the past, I do not believe the US should adopt the Canadian health care system, but rather learn from in the development of it's own system.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote