View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Why do you think that the "military" = "national security". Sure the military is part of the United States national security efforts, but military experience (which nobody denies McCain has in spades) <> National Security experience as far as it pertains to the POTUS.
That's a fair point, much like Cali's assertion (with which I agree) that military experience does not equal foreign policy experience. But though not equivalent, neither are they entirely divergent either.

I guess my contention is that his experiences have been of such a nature as to grant him political credibility when he speaks on security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Tex has repeatedly failed to cite specific accomplishments that relate to issues such as border control, terrorism, or illegal immigration. He keeps going to back to generalities--time spent flying an airplane in Vietnam, the pedigree of his parents, etc. He even insulted my grandfather!

It would be nice if Tex could simply give some specifics. I've already conceded that Obama really doesnt have any. I have also proferred that most POTUS candidates do not.

Humor me, McCain fans......can you name ONE single very specific thing McCain has done that pertains directly to National Security? Any legislation he has drafted? Any law he helped enact? Anything?
I confess I'm not intimately familiar with McCain's legislative record. I'm certainly no fan of his. What I've cited is sufficient for my purposes.

Moreover, your ignorant intransigence has provided me no motivation to do otherwise anyway. You've summarily dismissed 40 years of the man's career as irrelevant--I'm not sure why I should be persuaded that you'd react any more sanely to "ONE specific thing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I honest to goodness don't think Obama has a sophisticated understanding of foreign policy issues at this point. Being only a few years removed from a state legislature you can hardly expect him to. That doesn't mean that he can't come up to speed or surround himself with good advisors. I don't think Bush 43 was all that sophisticated when he took office. I wonder if anyone on the left will argue that his inexperience is irrelevant?
Parenthetically, it's interesting that Bush continues to be cited in these discussions as though he were "obviously" underqualified for the job. Almost like, "We tried this before, and look how it turned out." Not exactly a ringing line of logic for Obama supporters. Heh.

In any case, I tend to believe history will be much kinder to Bush than the politics of the moment. Bush fatigue is now high, but the emotion of that memory will fade.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote