View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
Gettysburg, Antietam Creek (Sharpsburg), Harpers Ferry (site of the US arsenal that John Brown siezed at the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah), Bull Run (Manassas), Cedar Creek, Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Brandy Station (largest cavalry engagement of the war), Cold Harbor, Fredericksburg (surfah is right, that one is WELL worth the visit), Petersburg, Appomatox. Fairfax Court house, though not a battlefield strictly speaking, was the site of much of the activity of Mosby's Raiders and is also where George Washington's will was probated. These are all in my back yard.

I have always been curious as to why we fixate so much on the civil war (rightly) but not the revolution. Maybe there were just bigger characters and more of them.
The carnage is so massive, and the fight of brother against brother is moving.

I could not and cannot read the Gettysburg Address without being moved to tears. To see thousands of brothers laid to rest in that cemetery is very powerful.

I wish our leaders now were embued with that sense of resolve. Now all we have is a bunch of shitheads. Curse them all to hell.

One reads what Lincoln, and senses a deeply intellectual, yet troubled man.

Reading modern politicians, all I am moved to do is to vomit or to defecate due to their insincerity.

Damn them all.