View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Interesting announcement in Priesthood

Yesterday in Priesthood open exercises, one of the Bishopric counselors stood up and prefaced his comments with the disclaimer that the announcement he was about to make was personal, not official.

He then shared that he acts as a merit badge counselor for some LDS scout troops in Santa Ana. For those that do not know, Santa Ana is, for the most part, a low-income area on the border of South and North County, largely polulated with hispanics.

The counselor stated that he had come to know many of the families and boys pretty well and he loved volunteering.

Apparently, the father of 2 or 3 of the scouts was just deported a few weeks ago. As such, the kids are now working after school and weekends to help their mother earn the rent, presumably until the dad can make it back North. I guess they did not want to ask the ward for Church welfare.

The counselor asked if anyone would want to help sponsor these boys to help get them to Scout summer camp, since they clearly cannot afford it now. 2 hands in the congregation immediately went up and the counselor thanked everyone. I assume the matter was resolved after the meeting.

I was not offended by this at all. I know some may be, and that is their right.

But I thought it was cool.

I guess I am having a harder and harder time hating illegal aliens. Is something wrong with me?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote