View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
For example, one time turing a lesson on divorce, everyone was bragging about how rarely Mormons get divorced. I raised my hand and said: "Just because people don't get divorced doesn't mean they're happy in their marriages. In some societies, women are afraid to get divorced because they don't have quality education or career opportunities, and so they do not feel like they could survive on their own. Or perhaps some people don't get divorced because of fear that they would be ostracized by society." People didn't like that. Then I got a lot of responses about how I was wrong, and the real reason Mormons don't get divorced as much is marriage covenants.

Then some guy gave a statistic (from a BYU professor, no less) about how 80% of people who don't get divorced are glad they didn't get divorced. I don't really understand what that means anyway. 80% of people whose marriages weren't bad enough to motivate them to go through with a divorce are glad they decided not to get divorced? 20% wish they had gotten divorced but still haven't gone through with it for some reason? The people whose marriages were bad enough to get divorced would be happy if they hadn't gotten divorced? I really don't think much can be concluded from isolated statistics like this.
I'll take this rare moment to agree with Sooner.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote