View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:20 AM   #27
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I know who the Dixie Chicks are, but I wouldn't know one of their songs if it kicked me in the hiney.

I say let 'em say what they want about the current administration. Then they should thank God that they live in a country that allows them to do that and still reap huge financial benefits from music I've never heard.
I think that's pretty much what they're doing. I don't recall ever having heard them badmouth the US. They just say things about being ashamed that Bush is a Texan.

The problem (for them) is that their audience didn't like what they had to say. So... They took a little break. Now they're back and the first single is a song about not being ready to back down. They have also made public comments about abandoning the "country" market.

Unfortunately... The Dixie Chicks are (and always will be) a twangy hillbilly pop band and despite the fact that their album has done well out of the gate, the shine will wear off and when their fallback audience isn't there, they'll be gone.

It would be like the Dead coming out and telling everybody to take a bath, get off drugs and get a haircut. They might notice a sudden jump in sales from the people who support their new message but when that ended they'd still be the same band, only hippies would like their brand of music, and all the hippies would hate them.

I think this will be the fate of the dixie chicks.