View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reminded I never gave a report about Lemond. Sorry about that.

First off, the meeting was not as intimate as I'd hoped. It was a luncheon after a keynote address he gave at a conference. There were about 30 people at the luncheon - I thought it would be smaller.

Anyway...I asked him creekster's question about the handlebars in '89. I keep it vague because I didn't want to come off as a poseur. I said something like, "Is it true what they say about your handlebars in '89?” I added, "That you made late night adjustments to even have them work?" He said, "It is" and he mentioned them being very controversial (I'm not sure why, but he stated it as if it's common knowledge). He went on and on about the handlebars and the time trials. Which was strange because I know you said final stage.

I didn't ask him about the shims, specifically. I'm glad I didn't. In my mind, I was practicing asking the question and I couldn't remember what you said. I kept asking myself, were the shims made from a coke can or were the handlebars made from coke cans. I didn't want to look like an idiot, especially after I prefaced my question with how much I enjoyed the '89 TDF (I've never seen it, but I was trying to be your proxy).

He seems like a good guy. He has a big foundation and heads an investment group too, besides his cycling stuff.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote