View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
First off, as you know, there isn't just one LDS reaction.

Some LDS are piling on in glee.

Other LDS are very concerned about the rush to judgment and the lack of due process.

1. Should a man be legally allowed to have sex with more than one woman (or vice versa) and call that relationship a marriage, even if isn't on the books in the state, and not be arrested and tried? Yes.

2. Child abuse--there is not yet evidence that I have seen, that shows abuse/rape has occurred. I heard salacious reports from the state, now I am hearing counter-commentary that says there are 5 girls pregnant/with kid that are 16-19. So I'm reserving judgment.

3. Most LDS don't like being associated with this fringe group, esp. Warren Jeffs, since in many ways, they don't represent our practices and values.

4. I'm not ashamed of LDS polygamy. Some members are.

yes, of course I know there are many reactions: I'm asking for individual's thoughts here.

I'm not really talking about the current FLDS example per se, but more theoretically. What is it that bothers any of you about these groups? It seems to me that the typical examples cited about how they are "bad" stem from allegations of child abuse/statutory rape and not anything to do with adults having multiple partners. If that's true, it's not really the polygamy that bothers people but the child abuse.

Which to me begs the questions here about what if these young brides were 19 instead of 14? you say yes, Mike. exUte raises the gay marriage specter, which is fair enough. . . it has similarities, I guess, but I don't see how LDS could attack it in the same way when our people practiced it for so long.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote