View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
When did that change?
It changed when the church started getting involved politically. The prior church stance was one of understanding based in firm doctrine, we understand you might struggle, you are welcome, but if you practice, you can't practice here. The current stance with the church throwing it's weight behind a foolish amendment, and the church's announcement that the family is under attack screams of anti-homosexualism and bigotry. Merely five years they welcomed homosexuals, now we are falling for political tricks and saying that 1% of the homosexuals who want to get married are actually attacking the family. Seems quite extreme if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I don't think there is anything amiss in thinking that, other than I would just add the grain of salt that church leadership is better situated to know what is harming the collective than you or I are, that is, they have access to real data where our data is anecotal.
What real data does the church leadership have access to that you or I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Do the doable. We can't even get by the easy, minor stuff. That's why families are doomed. The big stuff, divorce, abuse, deprivation, selfishness, substance abuse, will never be addressed politically and probably not socially.

In a world where American Idol is a big seller, how can any of the virtues of the Gospel be sold? I don't see it. And our missionary efforts in the US are failing.
I'm glad you said that and used the word doable.....

Could you imagine if the church rallied it's members around an idea that would actually make a difference in this world? Like what if the church said, the family is being attacked, will the membership please dedicate their time over the next couple of months to helping out a woman's shelter to help with the families that are falling apart. Or what if the church read over the pulpit, we want you to contact your local goverment officials to volunteer your services in an inner city school this week.

Those are doable things that increase the value of the family, the church membership, and encourage love and compassion instead of strong arming its membership into thinking that a dude and a dude getting hitched is attacking the family.....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote