View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #26
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I strongly disagree with this statement. Never in the history of this church has there been more sympathy for homosexuals among its membership than there is at this time. That might not be saying much, but I don't think one can honestly say that there is a "growing" hatred.
I can understand what both of you are saying. On the one hand, I think there IS more sypathy and understanding. A few years ago I was talking to my dad about homosexuals I know, and he acted surprised that we would be comfortable with 'those people' around our son... weren't we afraid that they would try to molest him?

I doubt my father would suggest that homosexuals are more likely to molest young boys today. Members of the church, along with the rest of the country, have learned a LOT about homosexuality in the last five years. There is less ignorance every day.

On the other hand, I think that members feel a much stronger need to condemn homosexuality as a sin. We see a lot more anti-gay-rights activism, and in general LDS are talking about it (along with the rest of the country) a LOT more. Because of the church's position, this can come across as an increase in intollerance, which many people would consider to be a type of 'hatred.'

I guess one test for both of your claims would be this -- would a homosexual man feel more comfortable in the LDS church today, or would he have been more comfortable in the LDS church five years ago? It is really hard to answer that question, since in all liklihood the gay man would be closeted five years ago, and out today, creating two very different scenarios.

Another question... would the church and its members be comfortable with openly gay, but celibate male members talking about 'overcoming their struggles' in testimony meeting? How about a youth fireside where an openly gay but celibate man talks about resisting gay temptation? The church probably wouldn't have a problem with any of this if the sin in question was alcohol. Does the distinction suggest anything about LDS cultural and religious envrionment regarding homosexuality?

Last edited by Robin; 06-07-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote