View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
On a related note, I'm not sure this would go down as my favorite documentary, but it is one that made some impact on me, it's a PBS documentary titled "Vietnam - A Television History." The multi-part series was made in the early '80s.

Background: As a kid I loved everything about WWII. I was fascinated by the planes, tanks, weapons and battles. I watched all of the old war movies I could, built models, etc. (nerd alert, I know).

Fast forward a few years, and my dad and I are watching the A Television History on PBS. I'm still basically a kid and my perception of the reality of war matched my age. At the end of one episode a veteran tearful details the result of a patrol mission; his best friend's head being blown off, as they sat together in the dark of a seemingly quite night patrol.

My dad broke the silence at the end of the episode with the query, "Do you still think war is 'cool' and fun?" I didn't respond and I didn't need to; he knew the answer. Obviously, I still remember that moment today.
Hmmmm. I thought to myself, "It's too bad W didn't have a moment like this."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote