View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #44
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
"strategy"? You continue to imply that there is some ulterior financial motive. So far it has been an overwhelming financial disaster for them. Toby Keith shamelessly panders to his core audience. Which stance takes more guts?

As for changing the music, nobody ever said they were going to change the style. Rather they intend to change the lyrics and get away from sappy, formulaic crap that plagues the Nashville music scene.
If you are writing a song that is politically charged or motivated, then yes, I think there is a strategy. After 911 the songs poured out from songsters mostly in country. As you noted, Toby Keith has capitalized on the ability patriotic songs have to unify people. Does he care about the troops? Sure. Does he even go on tours and perform for soldiers in Iraq? Absolutely, he's one of the most supportive people out there. Does he know that his bread is currently buttered by his patriotic songs? I would think so...unless he is completely oblivious...So, when Toby Keith goes out to record a new album, does he think..."hm, should I put another patriotic song on my album?" Yeah he does...and so do the Chicks and everyone else involved.

It has been 3 or 4 years since their last album...and everyone has wondered if they are going to apologize or do something to win back their fan base and the First release off their album is called "I ain't ready to play Nice Yet" (or something like that) Coincidence? I think not. It was 100% a strategic move to release that song in addition to Articles and News Pieces on them all stating the same thing...I'm not sorry and I don't need those fans.

They may be sticking to their guns, but it is still a strategic move...one that they can afford to make because they are loaded. Every challenge they've made, they've won. They have the #1 album in the country if I'm not mistaken.