View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I think Cougar fans right now are experiencing a lot of what it was like to follow the Utes in the pre-McBride era of the team. Even during the McBride eras I would question why I really followed the team. I was watching a style of football that I did not enjoy watching and knew would not be successful. I was watching teams consistently underachieve. A lot of people on utefans see me as the most negative fan and I am down right positive compared to what I was back in the late 90's. Despite all this I kept coming back. I kept going to games.

It is because I love the team in its up and downs. I can relate when they are losers because well I'm a loser . I can get excited about when the team is playing great, but if the Utes went back to the previous levels I would still be just as rabid about following them. I would still be going to the sports bar each week to catch the games on gameplan.

I think a lot of following sports come down to the community aspect of it. I moved to Oregon a year ago a state where I knew one person and he was 2 hours away from Portland. I was able to make an immediate connection with a few people because we were Ute fans. To those who do not know me I do not have social skills and do not meet people easily. I was glad to have that to at least talk to a few people. I think despite what some may say about giving up being a cougar fan it will never happen. No matter how bad it gets you will keep coming back. You are identified with the Cougars and it will never go away no matter how much you want it too. Also your program is still nowhere as bad as the pre-McBride Utes so quit your whinning
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote