Thread: Trouble Brewing
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
cover to cover within the last few weeks. What is amazing to me is that the LDS Church is run on a very, very detailed scale. There are procedures for every aspect of Church leadership operations. Micromanagement is a very fair word.

For example, read the section on funerals. You wouldn't think that there would be that much guidance on this topic and funerals are not something that a Bishop deals with that often. Nevertheless, every aspect of a funeral service is regulated. Funeral shouldn't last more than an hour and a half. When the casket can be open and closed. Which songs are allowed. No video or slide shows. Don't focus on the decedent, but instead focus on the gospel in all talks.

Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies and High Counselors really don't have that much leeway as to what they are supposed to do. Sure, there are a lot of areas where leaders are to use their best judgment, but the level of regulation and structure is shocking. I kept asking myself: Would the Lord's only true church really need to be micromanaged to this degree?

Just my thoughts.

Our ward has had three funerals in the last year. Another ward in our building has had more than 25 in the last three years. If you are a new bishop and someone dies a very detailed description of what to do is a great comfort, I assure you.