View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #27
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I don't think Robin is actually serious, but he's just pointing out that playing professional sports is as risky as riding a motorcycle and that if a motorcyclist should have to pay higher insurance premiums, a professional athlete should not be able to receive benefits for putting themselves at risk.
You are correct that I am not serious. And I wouldn't limit my polemic to pro athletes. Why not high school athletes? I knew several high school footballers who blew out their knees, and will suffer pain for the rest of their lives as a result. You think some of their prescriptions for that pain is going to get picked up by the tax payer?

My point is simple... life is better because we can take risks. Whether we are talking about entreprenurial risks, or the risks of sport, or the risk of riding a motorcycle (or even walking out your front door, if you want to take it to an extreme), life is full of risk and reward. By collectively assuming some of the risk, we make life more adventurous, and for the most part, that makes life much more rewarding.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote