View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #30
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I believe I just suggested that collaboration is a good thing. I just suggested Mike talk to the bishop and ask him about what would be a more effective way to make recommendations. I agree that playing "guess what's on my mind" is a bad thing for a bishop to do. And I understand that it's frustrating to get repeat rejections ... a smart bishop will notice this is happening and take steps to correct it so his leaders don't feel like Mike feels.

The principle that's being lost here is that it's not an auxiliary leader's role to call. When in these callings you pray about someone for a position, you must always approach it with the caveat that the Lord may direct the bishop elsewhere. As I said before, the moment you've decided that this person is "IT"--that's been confirmed by revelation that they are THE MAN--you have overstepped your bounds.
I don't think anyone is claiming that it's an auxiliary leader's role to call as opposed to simply recommend. Waters' complaint, which I echo, was about playing "guess what's on my mind" when your in a recommendation role - which you've just agreed isn't a good thing for a bishop to do. I'm just not seeing that the various comments indicate that there's a "principle that's being lost". In other words, I think your offer to teach a seminar was premature.

However, if you do want to teach a seminar then you might want to consider how many Bishops often overstep their bounds when it comes to a Elder's Quorum President's authority to make an in-quorum calling. The Bishop doesn't make the call or set apart an Elders Quorum instructor or a Home Teaching District Supervisor or even a quorum committee chairperson. The Bishop should have veto power for reasons of a candidate's worthiness; however, aside from candidate worthiness the Bishop technically doesn't have priesthood stewardship over the Elders Quorum. Unfortunately, many Bishops in the church effectively emasculate their EQP by insisting (unrighteously, I think) that the Bishop gets who the Bishop wants in the internal EQ callings. Perhaps thats a principle that's being lost that you can address in your seminar?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote