View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #109
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So, I take it you don't give Jesus a special status among his fellow receivers of God's inspiration. In other words, he was not The Messiah, the Son of God, the Savior of mankind.
I believe there was a Jesus, and his teachings are very inspired. I just don't know about the (literal) Son of God part of that story. For that matter, I really don't believe man is in God's image, that God looks like us. Which "us"? Sapiens, Neanderthol, (other)? Human-like species have been here for a long, long time, not exactly in the current form. Did God wait until this degree of evolution of primates that looked like him, or is the idea that we look like him an anthropomorphic construct? I think the latter.

There have been a TON of species on this planet... were they all just in preparation for the past 2100 (OK, maybe 6000) years? At least one religious tradition asserts animals & other forms of life are (essentially) for human use. The Hindus have a more comprehensive belief that makes more sense to me, that all life is related, each person & animal have a unique role, maybe we live multiple lives, perhaps in different forms? (I don't know about that part, either, but the larger role of life, evolution, species and our current role I think are bigger than what is written in religious texts.)
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote