View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My old speedplay cleats were over 2 years old. They had needed to be replaced for about 6-7 months, but I was loathe to spend the 40 bucks the new cleats cost. After one of the springs broke, I had no choice, Picked up my new pair yesterday. Changed the right cleat no problem and then found that I had worn down the left cleat so far that the heads of the attaching screws were almost smooth and no longer had any surface for a screwdriver to grip. I had to use a cutting wheel on my dremel to get the sill things off. Finally putting the new cleat on I rode to work this morning. Ahhhh, new cleats, very nice. I deduced that the reason the left cleat was so much more worn is because when I stop at a light or a stop sign I always pop my left foot out of the cleat to put down for balance while leaving my right foot in the pedal. Over a couple of years, that difference adds up to a lot more wear and tear.

Speedplays are fabulous. They feel great. The cleats do wear out, however, and are overpriced, but even so I like them enough to be worth it.
I replace them so infrequently I occasionally get them on backwards. I tend to have the cleats lose screws now and then. This is beginning only my fifth year cycling. Wow, a lot of miles after four years, 30,000 miles. Am I still a newby by your standards oh mighty Creekster?