View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It sounds reasonable to be good stewards of our earth. And to extent we can make changes to improve our cultivation of the earth so that those that follow can benefit, I bet nobody disagrees.

The questions always revolve around costs/benefits and priorities. Do we pour billions down a rabbit hole if we have no idea it will impact the environment, positively or negatively?

The reason for the hysteria is to steer economic policy.
No, I wouldn't say it's reasonable to spend billions of dollars on the assumption that Global Warming is man-made.

I agree, there are MANY (Al Gore) who will use this as political leverage, and we should be careful to avoid listening to those individuals very closely. Still, I don't think even a majority of scientists fall into this group. I would bet most are trying to honestly research the issue.

Some things I would NOT currently do, due to fear of man-made global warming (warning - these will consist of double-negatives):
-Not drill economically viable oil sites in the U.S.
-Buy a hybrid that gets 40mpg, and costs 3x as much as my Toyota Corolla that gets 35mpg.
-Spend thousands of dollars on 'clean' energy for my home.

Some things I WOULD do, right now:
-Start carpooling & mass transit where available & convenient.
-Limit unnecessary driving.
-Work on my wife not leaving lights all over the bloody house on all the time. How hard is it to flip off a switch on your way out the door?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote