View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #49
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I haven't personally examined the book, but I can make a fair assumption that she probably provides at least some reference and/or documentation for her claims. I also find it a reasonable assumption that the publisher did fair due diligence on her claims before putting their company name on the book. These are just assumptions (not "proof"), but they are reasonable ones.

As a non-lawyer, I'm not professionally obligated to assume that anyone on the opposing side of an argument is automatically lying. In normal human relations, people are typically given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Moreover, you said "even if" her story was true, it wouldn't tell us about how the detainees are being treated; an odd assertion, given that detainee treatment is exactly what she's talking about. As I said before, if you were to accept her story as true, you'd really have nothing to argue about.
Surely you can do better than that. We are now operating on assumptions that she has proof of her claims and assumptions that book publishers require proof before publishing (and saying that such assumptions are reasonable) AND assuming that she has no ulterior motive in making her claims AND assuming that she isn't withholding additional information about detainee treatment that is more negative? THAT is what you are going with here? Um, okay.

She is a prosecuting attorney at Gitmo. That isn't exactly a statement from the Red Cross. And if I assume that what she says is true, I don't see how that proves that the detainees are being treated well. I find it amusing that you don't see why.

Assume the following (this is an analogy, and I know you struggle with these, but try to keep up):

A person is required to remain in a location against that person's will.
The location is actually a gigantic palace, and the person has access to personal servants who deliver delicious food and wine.
The palace has many forms of entertainment available to the person.

Should we assume that the person is living a great life and is treated well?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote