View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Wednesday Night Race

Last night was the first time in 3 years that I have made it out of our local Wednesday night race. Temperature at the start was 94 degrees, approximately 14 degrees hotter than I have ridden in all year.

There were 2 local racing clubs there, along with about 7 or 8 unattached hacks like myself. 20 riders total.

Only knowing half of the guys there, I got stuck behind the wrong crowd a couple of times and was gapped at two inopportune times, having to dig like a dog to make my way back to the lead pack. I made it the first 20 miles (averaging over 25 mph) to the base of the first major climb with the lead group and feeling fair. Dropped like a rock as soon as the roads turned upward.

I actually felt pretty well for most of the 37 mile ride, although my HR was sky high, typically 173-177 for most the climbs and fast rollers. I peaked out at 183 while I was trying to close a gap at one point. I really didn't feel like my effort was that high, so I attribute it partially to not riding in the hot weather yet this year.

I really enjoyed the ride. I'm not sure how much fun it will be in a month when the temps are 105, but hopefully I can sneak out again sometime soon.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote