View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't have a lot of time to pontificate on this at the moment, but maybe I will later.

I do want to say, though, that the bishop is not a go-between the sinner and the Lord (as in Mike's Catholic analogy). When dealing with people who have committed serious transgression, he fills two roles: the common judge and as a counselor.

The bishop is called a "common judge in Israel" because he judges worthiness. He represents the church and its policies and standards, and only represents the Lord as it concerns those things. This is where potential church discipline comes into play.

The bishop is also a counselor. He helps the sinner to understand the gospel, understand what forgiveness means and how to receive it, understand how to recognize the influence of the spirit, and so forth.

He is NOT a replacement for the Lord as it concerns forgiveness, nor does he represent Him in that way. He does not bestow forgiveness. He does not grant absolution.

Repentance is still between the sinner and the Lord.
Tex is right. Only the Lord can forgive. The Bishop, however, determines the conditions upon which the church will extend its forgiveness and fellowship. It is in that capacity he represents the church.

I have often thought that the Lord forgives pretty freely, and the New Testament seems to confirm this, whereas the church does not. Or at least not without some punishment first. The parts about disciplinary counsels, disfellowshiping, and excommunication are probably some of those plain and precious truths that were lost through Hellenization.